Advertisements – Advertising at The News And Times – advertising-newsandtimes.com | WE CONNECT!

Audio | Video | Top News | On Twitter | Security | FBI | Capitol Riot | JOSSICA | Trump | Russia | Putin | Russia – Ukraine War | Covid-19 | Brooklyn NY | Puerto Rico | World 

The Russia News Review

October 1, 2022 1:00 pm

The News And Times | Featured Posts | All Articles | Current News | Selected Articles | Shared Links | Opinions | In My Opinion | Sites | Blogs | Links | Twitter | Facebook

Categories
Russia News

Voice of America: Initial Attempts to Reach Trapped Mexican Miners Unsuccessful

Advertisements | Advertising at The News And Times - advertising-newsandtimes.com | WE CONNECT!
Spread the News

Listen to this article
Rescue divers’ first attempts to reach 10 miners trapped since last week inside a flooded coal mine were stopped by debris-filled shafts and poor visibility, Mexican authorities said Thursday.

Advertisements | Advertising at The News And Times - advertising-newsandtimes.com | WE CONNECT!

They made four attempts Wednesday and managed to remove more than a dozen pieces of wood and some 14 meters of hose but were not able to go far.

“They found they didn’t have space to advance,” said Defense Secretary Luis Cresencio Sandoval. “With the lights they carry they don’t have the visibility they need to identify what they find.”

On Aug. 3, 15 miners were inside the coal mine in Sabinas, Coahuila, about 70 miles southwest of Eagle Pass, Texas. Authorities believe the miners breached a wall containing another flooded area. Five miners managed to escape with injuries, but there has been no contact with the remaining 10.

For much of the past week authorities have used dozens of pumps to try to lower the water level inside the flooded mine shafts. Wednesday’s dives were the first attempt to enter the mine.

Coahuila Gov. Miguel Riquelme said via Twitter on Wednesday that pumping would resume before more attempts were made to enter.

In June and July of 2021, cave-ins at two Coahuila mines claimed the lives of nine miners.

Mexico’s worst mining accident also occurred in Coahuila on Feb. 19, 2006, when an explosion ripped through the Pasta de Conchos mine while 73 miners were inside. Eight were rescued with injuries including serious burns. The rest died and only two of their bodies were recovered.

The administration President Andrés Manuel López Obrador promised two years ago to recover the remaining 63 bodies, a highly technical endeavor that has yet to begin.

01630000-0aff-0242-fb96-08da7c01f5a6_w80

4015160 Voice of America


Spread the News
Advertisements | Advertising at The News And Times - advertising-newsandtimes.com | WE CONNECT!
WP Radio
WP Radio
OFFLINE LIVE